Monday, October 31, 2011

Weekly Work Recap

I always keep track of my hours in a day planner, both to give me an idea of whether or not I'm working enough each pay period and to verify that my hours were entered correctly on my paychecks.  I figure if I'm posting updates of my budget I may as well post updates about my work hours.  Since I work in a kitchen I'm only scheduled a start time, no end time. (Dinner rushes can be unpredictable and you're done whenever all of your duties are done)

In the kitchen there are several types of shifts, each one varies in average hours and each one has different duties.  Since I generally just work nights, there are 3 shifts I can be scheduled for: a regular dinner shift, the late, or the close.  On a regular dinner shift you come in, work the rush, clean your section and do your side duties.  These shifts don't last very long.  The late works the rush and has the same regular duties, but they are also responsible for the late duties.  They also stay later (duh) to help the close with any orders that might come in.  The close is the only shift that really has a scheduled end time, which is whatever time we close that night.

Despite the fact that hours are not guaranteed, it's easy to pick up shifts, or add the late or close to a regular dinner shift you are already working.  My goal is to pick up as many shifts/hours as possible before I go on maternity leave.

I need to work about 54 hours/paycheck (27 hours/week) to make the income I've entered for myself in our budget.  However with taxes being different on every paycheck I consider a 60 hour paycheck (30 hours/week) to be my minimum goal.

Here's a look at this past week:

Monday
Scheduled: 5:00 Late
Worked: 5:00 - 9:50  4.83 hours

Tuesday

Scheduled: Day Off
I had the opportunity to pick up a 5:00 Late but had already made plans with my mom for dinner, as much as I would have liked to pick up this shift, I had a much better time seeing my mom :)

Wednesday
Scheduled: 5:30 Dinner
Worked: 5:30 - 10:10  4.66 hoursPicked up the Late.

Thursday
Scheduled: 5:30 Dinner
Worked: 5:20 - 9:10  3.83 hours

Friday
Scheduled: 5:00 Late
Worked: 5:00 - 11:10  6.17 hours

Saturday
Scheduled: Day Off
Not picking up shifts today as it is our Halloween party :)

Sunday
Scheduled: 5:00 Late
Worked: 5:00 - 9:50  5.83 hours

Approx. Hours Scheduled:  20.5
Total Hours Worked:  25.32
Not a good week at all!  Luckily I'm scheduled 6 days this week and already picked up a shift for the day I was off.  Hopefully I can make these shifts worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I hope everything works out and you get more hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm just gonna try to milk it for everything it's worth :P I've noticed lately that when I show up for a 5:00 shift half the 5:30 people are already clocked in, so screw it, I'm gonna punch in early too :)

    ReplyDelete